In January of this year, I established a list of twelve New Year’s resolutions. At the end of each month, I report on my progress as a means of holding myself accountable.
1. Finish my second novel before my birthday in mid February.
Done since mid-February, sold in June, and revisions completed in September. I have since returned my attention to book #3, which I would like to have finished in 2009.
2. Live a healthier lifestyle. Specifically:
· At least thirty minutes of aerobic exercise three times a week.
· Strength training at least three times a week.
· Three servings of fruits or vegetables a day.
· Lower my cholesterol so that it is no longer in the borderline high range.
· Continue to seek out opportunities to participate in organized sports
I exercised for at least thirty minutes on 27 of the 30 days in September, including eight rounds of golf, three runs of more than thirty minutes, and many, many hours on a variety of cardio machines at the gym. I also managed 12 days of strength training.
I ate three servings of fruits and vegetables on just 11 of the 30 days. Thank goodness for my multivitamin or I’d probably have scurvy by now.
As stated previously, I lowered my cholesterol significantly this year but will not have another test until December.
3. Rid Elysha and myself of all education debt before the end of the year.
Funds to achieve this goal may become available soon. Maybe.
4. Beat Jeff or Tom in one round of golf.
I couldn’t even beat Shep this month, let alone Jeff or Tom. Even my putting failed me last month, an area of my game tends to be especially strong. Time on this resolution is running out as the cold weather sets in.
5. Floss every day.
Still haven’t missed a day since December of 2007.
6. Go to at least twelve movies this year, thus debunking the myth that the parents of newborns are no longer able to go out to the movies.
Done. Though I didn’t add to my total in September, I have seen twelve movies so far this year and hope to squeeze in a few more before 2010.
7. Replace the twelve ancient windows on the first and second floor of the house with more energy efficient ones.
Looking unlikely without some unexpected windfall.
8. Cook at least one meal a week for Elysha.
Not a single meal cooked in September, though Elysha is still offering me dispensation on this resolution considering my work load. But is that really an excuse to fail?
9. Eat at least three bowls of oatmeal a week in order to lower my cholesterol.
Four bowls of oatmeal in September! Not even lose to my goal, but the best monthly total so far! And once again I am reminded about how much I like oatmeal! Still, I lowered my cholesterol anyway! I don’t need no stinking oatmeal…
10. Write for at least two hours every day without exception.
11. Make one mortgage payment from poker profits
Looking unlikely unless I play more poker or play for higher stakes, neither of which is terribly appealing.
12. Post my progress in terms of these resolutions on this blog on the first day of every month.
Eleven days late but done.