In the future, when I am asked why I use Twitter, I will reference this article by Howard Rheingold.
I’ll then add that I have made friends (some of whom I have subsequently met in real life), garnered readers, communicated with fans, established strong contacts in the bookselling and publishing industry, and received a good deal of my daily news through Twitter.
And I’ve laughed a lot. Sarah Silverman, Jordan Rueben, Neil Patrick Harris and Justin, the guy who posts the things his 74-year-old father says, are hilarious.
A few nuggets from his dad:
- Pressure? Get married when you want. Your wedding's just one more day in my life I can't wear sweat pants.
- We're out of Grape Nuts... No, what's left is for me. Sorry, I should have said "You're out of Grape Nuts."
- I just want silence. Jesus, it doesn't mean I don't like you. It just means right now, I like silence more.
- I hate paying bills... Son, don't say "me too." I didn't say that looking to relate to you. I said it instead of "go away.
- Oh please, you practically invented lazy. People should have to call you and ask for the rights to lazy before they use it.