In an effort to achieve my yearly goals, I post my monthly progress here. I’m eleven days late in posting, but I’ve been busy. It slipped my mind. Below are my sixteen New Year’s resolutions and my progress thus far.
1. Lose seventeen more pounds, bringing my weight down to 185 pounds, which was my high school pole vaulting weight.
My trip to Florida in mid-February left me eight pounds heavier than when I started the month. Yikes. I have a lot of work to do.
2. Complete CHICKEN SHACK by my birthday.
Failed. My new goal is April 15.
3. Eat three servings of oatmeal a week in order to reduce my cholesterol.
Done! I had sixteen bowls of oatmeal in the month of February, which works out to four bowls per week.
4. Try liver.
5. Publish an Op-Ed in a national newspaper.
6. Participate in The Moth as a storyteller, at a live show or on their radio broadcast.
My first proposal was rejected. I won’t write another one until the novel is done.
7. Complete the rock opera.
Work continues. Progress good. My collaborator has already proposed the next musical when this first one is complete.
8. Read at least six novels that were published in 2010.
None yet, but it’s hard considering I only had two months of material with which to work.
9. Organize my basement.
10. Learn to use Dreamweaver with reasonable skill.
11. Land at least one paying client for my fledgling life coach business.
12. Go to at least twelve movies this year, continuing to debunk the myth that the parents of newborns are no longer able to go out to the movies.
I’ve seen three so far. Avatar, Up in the Air and the Blindside. Well on pace to see at least twelve by the end of the year.
13. Rid Elysha and myself of all education debt before the end of the year.
Nothing to report.
14. Replace the twelve ancient windows on the first and second floor of the house with more energy efficient ones.
Nothing to report.
15. Make one mortgage payment from poker profits.
I’m actually about a quarter of the way there, so this goal is looking more and more achievable by the day.
16. Post my progress in terms of these resolutions on this blog on the first day of every month.
As I said, eleven days late this month.
Overall, not a great month.