In an effort to achieve my yearly goals, I post my monthly progress here.
Below are my sixteen New Year’s resolutions and my progress thus far.
1. Lose seventeen more pounds, bringing my weight down to 185 pounds, which was my high school pole vaulting weight.
As of this morning, one more pound lost. Twelve to go.
2. Complete CHICKEN SHACK by April 15.
Finished writing the book on April 17.
Finished first round of revisions on May 2.
Completing what I hope will be final revisions this week. Then it’s back to my agent for what I hope will be an enthusiastic thumbs-up!
3. Eat three servings of oatmeal a week in order to reduce my cholesterol.
Done! I had exactly three bowls of oatmeal per week in the month of June. However, almost all of it came in the first half of the month. Probably not what my doctor was looking for…
4. Try liver.
5. Publish an Op-Ed in a national newspaper.
6. Participate in The Moth as a storyteller, at a live show or on their radio broadcast.
7. Complete the rock opera.
Done! Waiting on a date for our staged reading in the fall.
8. Read at least six novels that were published in 2010.
So annoyed. I thought I completed this goal with the reading of CRUSH IT and THE BOOK THIEF, but they were published in 2009 and 2005 respectively. So I still have one book to go. But I started THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET’S NEST yesterday so the goal should be completed in July.
9. Organize my basement.
Summer project. And it’s summer. So I guess I should get on that. Waiting for a rainy day.
10. Learn to use Dreamweaver with reasonable skill.
Done! Received a two hour lesson last night from my friend, Tom, and spent an hour this morning updating matthewdicks.com with my book tour schedule, some info on UNEXPECTEDLY, MILO and a few more tweaks.
11. Land at least one paying client for my fledgling life coach business.
None yet. Know of anyone in need of a good kick in the pants?
12. Go to at least twelve movies this year, continuing to debunk the myth that the parents of newborns are no longer able to go out to the movies.
Watched The A Team last week, bringing my total to six. On pace for an even dozen by year’s end.
13. Rid Elysha and myself of all education debt before the end of the year.
I could really use a television or movie deal to make this happen. Pitches for the fall schedule begin soon. Perhaps I’ll get some great news next month.
14. Replace the twelve ancient windows on the first and second floor of the house with more energy efficient ones.
Again, a TV or movie deal with either one of my books would help…
15. Make one mortgage payment from poker profits.
I remain about a quarter of the way to a mortgage payment. No time to play. Too busy writing.
16. Post my progress in terms of these resolutions on this blog on the first day of every month.