In an effort to achieve my yearly goals, I post my monthly progress here.
Below are my sixteen New Year’s resolutions and my progress thus far.
1. Lose seventeen more pounds, bringing my weight down to 185 pounds, which was my high school pole vaulting weight.
I'm back to within sixteen pounds of my goal with three months to go.
It’s not looking good.
2. Complete CHICKEN SHACK by April 15.
3. Eat three servings of oatmeal a week in order to reduce my cholesterol.
Done! Fourteen bowls in the month of September.
4. Try liver.
Not yet. And c’mon. This one is totally doable.
5. Publish an Op-Ed in a national newspaper.
I submitted a piece to the Times and was rejected. I’m awaiting word from other papers now.
6. Participate in The Moth as a storyteller, at a live show or on their radio broadcast.
Not yet. And it looks like the radio broadcast is out, so it’ll have to be live.
7. Complete the rock opera. 8. Read at least six novels that were published in 2010.
I’m up to twelve with THE CLOTHES THEY STOOD UP IN and FLY AWAY HOME.
9. Organize my basement.
Work continues but is not complete.
10. Learn to use Dreamweaver with reasonable skill.
11. Land at least one paying client for my fledgling life coach business.
12. Go to at least twelve movies this year, continuing to debunk the myth that the parents of newborns are no longer able to go out to the movies.
Stuck on seven and getting nervous that twelve might be out of reach. To be perfectly honest, there haven’t been that many movies that I have wanted to see. But still, I should be able to squeeze in five during these last three months. A couple double-headers should do it.
13. Rid Elysha and myself of all education debt before the end of the year.
Still waiting for that million dollar, multi-book deal to come through, or a television or movie deal to happen.
14. Replace the twelve ancient windows on the first and second floor of the house with more energy efficient ones.
Looking unlikely without a windfall…
15. Make one mortgage payment from poker profits.
My bankroll is about 40% of my goal.
16. Post my progress in terms of these resolutions on this blog on the first day of every month.
Late but done.