In an effort to achieve my yearly goals, I post my monthly progress here. Below are my sixteen New Year’s resolutions and my progress thus far.
1. Lose seventeen more pounds, bringing my weight down to 185 pounds, which was my high school pole vaulting weight.
I added seven pounds since my last report. Absent a miracle or liposuction, I’ve all but failed to achieve this goal.
2. Complete CHICKEN SHACK by April 15.
3. Eat three servings of oatmeal a week in order to reduce my cholesterol.
Done! At least three bowls per week in the month of November.
4. Try liver.
Nope. But c’mon. I’ve got to find some time for this one. Perhaps lunch with colleagues next week.
5. Publish an Op-Ed in a national newspaper.
I have yet to resubmit a piece, though in my defense, I’m trying to finish another book, quite unexpectedly, and simply don’t have the time.
6. Participate in The Moth as a storyteller, at a live show or on their radio broadcast.
I have yet to make another attempt. But again, I’m trying to finish an entire novel in a span of five months. Unexpected goodness lands much more work on my plate.
7. Complete the rock opera.
8. Read at least six novels that were published in 2010.
I’m up to fifteen with At Home, Freedom, and The Disappearing Spoon.
9. Organize my basement.
Work continues but is not complete.
10. Learn to use Dreamweaver with reasonable skill.
11. Land at least one paying client for my fledgling life coach business.
None yet. Anyone know someone in need?
12. Go to at least twelve movies this year, continuing to debunk the myth that the parents of newborns are no longer able to go out to the movies.
I’m up to nine with the addition of the latest Harry Potter film. This leaves me three movies to go, which is very doable considering I have a week off at the end of December and my daughter’s nursery pre-school remains open. While we don’t plan on sending her to school everyday, we are planning to see a few movies that week while she is in school, just as long as there are movies we want to see.
13. Rid Elysha and myself of all education debt before the end of the year.
It won’t happen by the end of the year, but with the success that we have realized already for my still-unfinished manuscript, 2011 might be the year that we say goodbye to all of our education loans forever. Foreign sales have been remarkable.
14. Replace the twelve ancient windows on the first and second floor of the house with more energy efficient ones.
Funds will probably be available in 2011 for reasons already stated.
15. Make one mortgage payment from poker profits.
My bankroll sits at 50% of my goal. As with some of my other goals, this extra novel has hurt my playing time.
16. Post my progress in terms of these resolutions on this blog on the first day of every month.
Um… I forgot to post October’s results. Oh well. Can’t blame that one on the new book.