The New York Times reported on research from social scientists that seems to indicate the following in relation to gift giving:
- You don’t have to spend any time looking for “thoughtful” gifts.
- You don’t have to spend much money, either.
- Actually, you may not have to spend any money.
I won’t get into the reasons why. You can read the article and find out for yourself. But I must say that it’s quite compelling.
In place of these three rules, I would like to offer two simple rules of my own in regards to gift giving:
- No one judges you based upon the quality of your gift.
- If you think that people are judging you based upon the quality of your gift, then you must be judging people based upon the quality of their gift, and if that is the case, GROW THE HELL UP.