On Saturday I participated in a panel on social media at the Newburyport Literary Festival. Among the many topics discussed was podcasting, and I mentioned that in addition to audiobooks, I consume an enormous number of podcasts on a daily and weekly basis.
Several audience members, including my editor, asked for a list of the podcasts that I listen to, so the following is a list copied and pasted straight from my iTunes podcast subscription pane, in no particular order. Most of the descriptions are also taken from iTunes, and when there was no description, I added one myself.
I was also asked what my three favorite podcasts were. This is a hard question to answer, since I love so many, but at this particular moment, if I could only choose three, they would be Under the Influence, Motley Fool Money and The Moth.
But ask me tomorrow and I may give you three completely different choices.
- 60-Second Mind: A weekly commentary on the latest in brain and behavior studies.
- 60-Second Science: A daily quick take on science.
- 60-Second Tech: A quick take on technology.
- NPR People: Hmmm.... Krulwich on Science Podcast
- NPR: Playback Podcast: Each month, NPR Playback combs the NPR radio archives to connect the news of 25 years ago with the present.
- NPR: Planet Money Podcast: On NPR's Planet Money, you'll meet high rollers, brainy economists and regular folks -- all trying to make sense of our rapidly changing global economy.
- NPR Programs: Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! Podcast: NPR's weekly current events quiz.
- NPR Story of the Day Podcast: The best of Morning Edition, All Things Considered and other award-winning NPR programs.
- NPR StoryCorps Podcast: A weekly podcast from the national nonprofit that records the stories of everyday people and preserves them at the Library of Congress.
- NPR: Books Podcast: NPR book reviews, news and author interviews -- for people who love to read. The best of Morning Edition, All Things Considered and other award-winning NPR programs.
- Real Time with Bill Maher: An audio recording of the popular HBO program
- New York Times Science Times: A roundup of the topics addressed in this week's Science Times.
- New York Times Book Review: The newest releases and literary trends.
- This American Life: Weekly podcast of the award-winning radio show This American Life.
- WNYC's Radiolab: Science meets culture and information sounds like music. Each episode of Radiolab is an investigation -- a patchwork of people, sounds, stories and experiences centered around One Big Idea.
- Books on the Nightstand: Illuminating conversation about books and reading
- The Moth Podcast: The Moth features people telling true, engaging, funny, touching and eye-opening stories from their lives.
- Freakonomics Radio: Stories of economics and decision making from the authors of FREAKONOMICS.
- TEDTalks: TED is a nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. On this feed, you'll find TEDTalks video to inspire, intrigue and stir the imagination from some of the world's leading thinkers and doers, speaking from the stage at TED conferences.
- 99% Invisible: A tiny radio show about design, architecture & the 99% invisible activity that shapes our world.
- WTF with Marc Maron Podcast: Comedian Marc Maron interviews celebrities in the comedy and entertainment world
- Motley Fool Money: A weekly discussion of topics related to recent news from Wall Street and Washington, DC that affects investors.
- Market Foolery: Market Foolery features a team of Motley Fool analysts discussing the day's top business and investing stories.
- The Story Collider: Stories about science
- HBR IdeaCast: Stories from the Harvard Business Review
- Under the Influence: The first 50 years of modern advertising was hard-sell. The next 50 years was persuasion through creativity and media tonnage. But advertising is no longer a loud one-way conversation. It's a delicate dialogue now. This podcast addresses these issues.
- New Yorker Out Loud: A weekly conversation about what's new in The New Yorker.
- New Yorker: Comment: A weekly reading of the magazine's "Comment" essay.
- ESPN Radio: Best of Mike and Mike: A daily offering of the best of ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike in the Morning.
- ESPN Football Today: NFL updates, analysis and opinion from ESPN's team of experts.
- ESPN: The B.S. Report with Bill Simmons: Bill Simmons discusses sports and pop culture with celebrities and media personalities.
- Slate Magazine Daily Podcast: A daily podcast of articles from the online magazine Slate.com