In an effort to hold myself accountable, I post the progress of my yearly goals at the end of each month on this blog. The following are the results through July. 1. Don’t die.
Unless we are all living in a massive computer simulation (and I’m not sure that we aren’t), I’m still alive.
2. Lose ten pounds.
Still down ten pounds for the year. I’m attempting to lose another ten pounds during the second half of 2013.
3. Do at least 100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups five days a day. Also complete at least two two-minute planks five days per week.
4. Launch at least one podcast.
Equipment stands ready. No further progress.
5. Practice the flute for at least an hour a week.
I went to the music store with the intention of getting the broken flute repaired, only to discover that it was not in the back of my car as I thought. It must be in my classroom. I will pick it up this week.
6. Complete my fifth novel before the Ides of March.
7. Complete my sixth novel.
Work continues on the sixth novel. The first 10,000 words are in the hands of my agent. Writing continues.
8. Sell one children’s book to a publisher.
I will send at least one of the manuscripts to my agent by the end of August, which I said last month.
9. Complete a book proposal for my memoir.
Work on the proposal for my memoir continues. I have also begun writing a golf memoir that has grown into something considerable. My agent has read the first 40,000 words and thinks it has potential.
10. Complete at least twelve blog posts on my brother and sister blog.
One post published in July, bringing our total to 11.
11. Become certified to teach high school English by completing two required classes.
I am one class and an inexplicable $50 away from achieving certification. I planned on taking this course in the summer, but it is unavailable. Hopefully we find something in the fall.
12. Publish at least one Op-Ed in a newspaper.
I’ve now published three pieces in the Huffington Post and one in Beyond the Margins. Nothing in an actual newspaper yet.
13. Attend at least eight Moth events with the intention of telling a story.
I attended two Moth events in July, bringing my total to eleven. I placed first in both StorySLAMs.
I also told a story for The Story Collider, a New York based storytelling organization that focuses on science. It was a noncompetitive event.
14. Locate a playhouse to serve as the next venue for The Clowns.
The script, the score and the soundtrack are in the hands of a New York City playhouse. Work has commenced on a new musical.
15. Give yoga an honest try.
16. Meditate for at least five minutes every day.
I missed 7 days in July because of days when I was not home and days when my son awoke before 6:00 AM.
17. De-clutter the garage.
Work continues. We have found a home for all the remaining furniture. It will be removed soon.
18. De-clutter the basement.
Work continues, albeit slowly. I hope to spend the next rainy day in the basement, finishing it off.
19. De-clutter the shed
Work continues slowly.
20. Reduce the amount of soda I am drinking by 50%.
I failed to record my soda intake in July. This is not going well.
21. Try at least one new dish per month, even if it contains ingredients that I wouldn’t normally consider palatable.
I tried a new chicken dish this month. The name escapes me. My wife prepared it. It was quite delicious.
22. Conduct the ninth No-Longer-Annual A-Mattzing Race in 2013.
23. Post my progress in terms of these resolutions on this blog on the first day of every month.