One of the questions that I am asked most often relates to how I manage to be so productive. I have many, many answers (if you click on the productivity category on this blog, you will find many, many answers), but when I only have a moment and a person really wants an answer, here are the five suggestions that I make:
- Watch less television. The average American watches more than five hours of television per day. I watch less than one. Also, never watch live television. Turn every hour-long show into a 45 minute program and recapture the 15 minutes of commercials through the magic of fast forwarding.
- Do not remain in bed after you are awake. Recapture those sleepless minutes spent lounging in your bed. They serve no useful purpose and will ultimately decrease your chances of falling asleep quickly. .
- Spend less time eating. If you're not enjoying a meal with friends and family, eat meals that are quick to prepare and consume.
- Exercise. Regular exercise will increase your energy levels and make you more productive during the day.
- Sleep one hour less or, if that's not possible, go to bed and wake up one hour early. Time spent at the end of the day is often spent in front of the television. You are likely to be tired at the end of the day, and as a result, you are less productive. Shift that hour to the morning, when you are likely to be more productive.